22 Sept 2010

LONDON FASHION WEEK

LONDON. FASHION. WEEK. 3 words that fill me with excitement and dread in equal measures. I'm always excited to see the latest fantasies of some of the worlds hottest designers. How they can come up with amazingly beautiful ideas year on year astounds me. But I guess it's their job.

My favourite collection so far was that by Erdem. It's right up my street! Here's one of my favourite pieces. It's the dictionary definition of beautiful.


However, I hate to say it but now time to explain the negative bit and you probably already know what I'm going to say...I HATE THE SIZE DEBATE. Twice a year we have designers parading 'plus size' models down the catwalk and everyone saying what a fresh idea it is. It's not. We see it year on year. It's boring. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see emaciated hags crawling down the catwalk either but we're talking extremes and I don't agree with anyone being too fat or too skinny. The only difference is, people feel they have a licence to slag off slim people whereas people would rarely tell people they are looking too fat.

Elle Macpherson got it spot on if you ask me. When interviewed for Daybreak, regarding the size issue she said she was bored of talking about it and that people of any body shape can be beautiful. Of course I'm paraphrasing there and the way she said it was a lot more eloquent but you get the gist.

To be frank, I like seeing willowy, healthy looking body shapes drifting down the catwalk. I know it's not realistic for the vast majority of us but the fact of the matter is that clothes drape better on people who are naturally that build. But, I do not condone people starving themselves to achieve that figure and that's what needs to be stamped out in the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment