20 Sept 2010

Capital Capers!

Well I finally got round to telling you about my time in our fair capital. Sorry for the delay! Our weekend was one that would be chronicled in girly weekend folklore. Now the thing you need to know about my friend (let's call her Beth) is that there's always a bit of randomness when she is about (including the time when a chap approached her and asked her "on a scale of one to ten, how random are you?") Because of this, I was very excited for said weekend break and I was not disappointed. Here's the breakdown...

Day 1

Arrived in London and it was TANKING down. Like seriously torrential and the ironic thing was that we had left the North-East with lovely sunshine and ended up with rain! Let's face it, it's normally the other way round! We headed straight to Westfield as she had never been and celeb spotted straight away. Unfortunately the words "there's that guy out of Pirates of the Caribbean..." were not followed by Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom. Nope, it was Mackenzie Crook. I mean he's a really good actor and very successful but I honestly thought it was going to be one of the two I named first due to the excited way she said it. With him was Ralf Little and one other, though by then I figured it was rude and a little bit sad to stare. They must have had people gorping at them all the time they were in there.

So we grabbed a bite to eat in the Gourmet Burger Kitchen (my GBK virginity gone forever); hit the shops for a bit and then decided to brave the rain (not for the last time that weekend) and head off to check into out hotel at Covent Garden. Before I knew it, my shoes were filling with rain water - yes, now was the time they had chosen to start leaking and I still don't know where the water was coming in. Still, you can only get wet once.

At the hotel, we got ready and carried on with our itinerary - namely a brisk walk through even more rain to the Novello Theatre to see Mr Adam Garcia in Tap Dogs! Relatively untouched by the rain thanks to Beth's unbrolly we took our seats and got excited, partly about being dry but mostly about seeing all the hot guys tap dancing. However, we were in for a bit of a surprise. Seconds after the 1 minute countdown was announced, the lady on the tannoy decided to mutter under her breath that Adam Garcia would not be featuring in that nights performance, and would be replaced by somebody else!!!



The show was superb, with or without Adam. It still would have been nice to know more than 30 seconds before 'curtain up' that the man many had come especially to see  would not be dancing. I even sent an email to the manager at the Novello saying I thought it was brilliant but wanted an explanation re: Mr Garcia. I'm still waiting...

After that, we dashed to our sesh at the Ice Bar. You can read more about that here.

Not wanting the night to end there, we ended up at Mahiki, managed to score some free drinks and danced the night away. It was one of the best nights out I've ever had and the cocktails were yummy! The music was amazing, so thanks Mr DJ. You're a legend!

Day 2

I'm not going to lie, day 2 was a bit of a write off for Beth. I can safely say it was the result of too much generosity and good living the night before. But she soldiered on and managed a vege fried breakfast, a trip to the French Connection outlet, and after walking around for ages, we settled on collapsing in the Hard Rock Cafe for a couple of hours like little homeless girls, killing time until our train that evening. The last stop was Selfridges for the second popping of my cherry that weekend...MY FIRST KRISPY KREME!!! Mmmmmm melt in your mouth goodness.

We miss you London, and hope to return soon for take two!

No comments:

Post a Comment