5 Oct 2010

Favourite songs

I was laid in bed last night and my favourite song took my by surprise. Iris by Goo Goo Dolls has been my favourite song since I was a teenager - probably for about 13 years! It's meant so much to me and reminds me of lots of good and bad times.

The first time I ever heard it was on holiday with a friend when I was 14. We were in Salou and had a German music channel on in our room whilst we were getting ready. Iris came on and had me from the first verse. When we returned to England I went on a frantic hunt but couldn't find how to get hold of the single or album anywhere. We didn't have the internet so Woolworths and HMV were probably the limits of my search. I ended up getting the City Of Angels soundtrack just to own the song and used to play it on repeat all the time. I reckon my family wanted to throttle me! Not long before I left school, the single was released which I HAD to own and as soon as I could track down the album - Dizzy Up The Girl - I bought that too. A bit hysterical I know but totally worth it. It's an insanely good album.



When I was at college there was a boy I liked who was a great musician. Although I knew nothing much was going to happen between us I was at that age where everything that happens is the best or worst thing ever. There was a music event at college and the boy had learnt Iris and did an acoustic version. Not only that but he dedicated it to me! To this day, this is one of the most romantic things that has ever happened to me.

Then a few years ago, my brother surprised me and bought me tickets to see them in Manchester. One of my ambitions fulfilled for sure. It was freakin' awesome! I've just heard they're touring again so if I can spare the time and money I'm going to go!

Everyone has songs that mean bittersweet things to them. What's yours and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment